What you need to know about the CRISC
What is Certified Information Security Manager (CRISC) Certification from ISACA?
The CRISC certification enables individuals to acquire the necessary skills to design and administer an organization’s information security system. It is one of the primary requirements for candidates interested in advancing their careers in information security in big IT firms.
The program has been accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) under ISO/IEC 17024:2012. It is an exam with a total duration of four hours in which to answer a set of 150 questions. These questions revolve around topics covering risk identification, analysis, management, and reporting.
What is ISACA?
ISACA was previously known as the “Information Systems Audit and Control Association”. It is a non-profit and independent association that promotes the development of skills for individuals in the areas of information security, assurance, risk management, and governance.
What are the Requirements and How to Apply for CRISC Certification?
The process of obtaining this certification is:
- Submit an application to register for the CRISC exam
- Prepare all the given course topics
- Take up the examination
- Maintain the acquired certification and keep getting it renewed
Besides clearing the examination, candidates are also required to be compliant with the below criterion:
- Adhere to the code of professional ethics set by ISACA;
- Agree to adhere to the policy of continuing education; (which is to earn a minimum of 20 CPE hours annually, and 120 CPE hours over a period of three years)
- Submit an application for the CISM certification.
What is CRISC Certification’s Cost?
To register online for taking up the CRISC certification, the cost for 2017 is USD $575 for members and USD $760 for non-members. For early registration, you will be charged USD $525 if you are a member and USD $710 otherwise.
Further to this, for an aspirant to adhere to the policy of continuing education, a maintenance fee is required to be paid. For a member of ISACA, the fee is USD $45, and USD $85 for non-members. Renewal fees are also applicable from time to time – USD $20 for members and USD $35 for non-members. The cost of the applying for your certification is priced at USD $50.
What are the Topics Covered in Certified Information Security Manager (CRISC) Exam?
The subject matter of CRISC revolves around risk management, and covers the focus areas listed below:
- IT Risk Identification: This topic deals with how one can identify potential risks and the impact of realized risks on an organization. It trains candidates to collect and review such information for risk identification through the establishment of an IT risk register. It also helps in establishing the key stakeholders to enable action planning and accountability by developing a list of risk scenarios.
- IT Risk Assessment: This topic revolves around the probability that an identified risk may materialize, and the impact it will likely have on the organization. This will arm the managers to make better decisions and assess gaps, if any, between the current status of plans and the ideal plan based on the assessment exercise. The assessment exercise results would have to be updated to the risk register.
- Risk Response and Mitigation: This revolves around continuously monitoring identified risks and putting adequate controls in place so that risks can be mitigated. This is done through learning to define and establish KRIs (Key Risk Indicators) and risk thresholds. The topic also deals with measuring and reporting metrics for management to take appropriate action and improve planning where required. The candidates will also be required to understand how to validate that the risk responses have been executed as per the action plans in place.
- Risk and Control Monitoring and Reporting: This topic revolves around monitoring and reporting risks and controls being placed in a continuous manner. The risk management strategy should be constantly monitored and updated in keeping with the organization’s goals and objectives.
What’s the Recommended Training for CRISC Certification Exam?
Since CRISC certification has to do with the strategy and analysis of preventing and managing organizational risk, it is important to find a good training program. This program should essentially deal with not just the course learning, but also with the preparation for the examination. Candidates who have reference to the latest test papers would know the model of examination better and hence can perform better. It gives an edge to one’s preparation. Official study exam materials can be obtained here.
Where can I Find Free CRISC Certification Study Guides?
There are good online resources one can refer to that make it easier to learn the topics of CRISC certification. Exam-Labs provides the best study guides designed for this purpose. Exam-Labs is a site that positions and arms aspiring candidates to achieve the best possible results to get CRISC certification. They are 100% free and offer all the latest and complete CRISC ISACA practice exams. Visit Exam-Labs to get access to 393 up-to-date test papers set with answers for ready reference. They are easy to follow and act as a quick reference guide to help you prepare for CRISC. Exam-Labs also have a lot of videos on study material available on YouTube for easy reference. They are easy to follow and act as a quick reference guide to help you prepare for CRISC certification.
What is CRISC Salary?
Candidates who have achieved the credentials that are required can easily earn up to an average amount of USD $111,470 as per a salary survey. They stand to gain even more if they keep their certification alive and keep gaining experience. This makes it a very lucrative option to earn an excellent salary.
What’re the Common CRISC Jobs?
Candidates who have achieved the CRISC certification obtain good employment and first-rate positions, such as Risk Managers, Information Risk Analysts, Information Security Managers, Information Security Administrators, Managers of Technology and Operations, Information and Operations Control Managers, and even Chief Security Compliance Officers.
It goes to prove that people with certified skill set are preferred over any other professionals in the industry. With these immense resources available online and armed with the information you will need, it is easier to get CRISC certified. So go ahead and complete CRISC certification in flying colors now and launch a great career ahead!